rainy summer bikepacking trip 2020 - full lenght


The complete version of my short 800 km bikepacking trip to Berlin, the Mecklenburg lake district, the baltic sea, the island of Rügen and back. I was going north to visit an old friend, celebrate one of my sisters academic title, check out my mothers garden, meet my grandparents and eat a lot of Pizza with one of my brothers. 

The summer weather felt more like autumn with rain almost every day that I cycled, a lot of head wind and low temperatures. On the second day I went from Berlin through the Mecklenburg lake district, and the national park Müritz to Kummerow. Together with my friends Robert and Max we visited our long missing flamingo "Young Dan". The weather was chaniging all day from suny to cloudy to rainy and back. On our way we came by the "Kulturkosmos" in Lärz, an old military airport which is now a festival site and the Müritz which is the biggest lake in Germany. In the national park there were some really pretty cycle paths, unfortunately a lot of them in bad condition with potholes and roots coming up through the tarmac. At the end of the day we rode about 190 km and had a awesome day on the bike. 

The third day started with a suprise. Daniel thought we would fancy a little ride over gravel roads, through muddy grasland and a swamp before we had our second breakfast. I thought it was funny, Robert and Max didn't like it too much though. After we left the "Moorbauer" or Ruhepol (on the way back we took the boat) we had to split up again. Max and Robert went south, back to Berlin while Daniel kept me company for another 20 km to the north.It was a super windy day and unfortunately the wind was blowing directly into my face for most of the day. I had to cross another moor in the Trebeltal which historically seperates Mecklenburg from Western Pomerania. The "streets" leading through there don't deserve that name sometimes and Komoot seems to think sending roadbikes on cobbles, unpaved roads and through cowsheds seems to be a good idea. Of course I had a little bit of rain too. I reached my goal in the north of the island of Rügen after 142 km. 

Then it's going back south. I waited until the late afternoon (because I didn't want to cycle in pouring rain) just to cycle in pouring rain. I did 150 km mostly on beautiful tiny roads. After I left Rügen it startet raining for quite a while. I had to keep going because it was already pretty late but at the end of the day I was rewarded with aweseome rainbows and a nice sunset. 

 The last day of this bikepacking trip took me from the Mecklenburg Lake District back to Berlin.